Friday, 22 May, 2026

10:49 PM

, Kuching, Sarawak

All bodies of missing Italian divers recovered

Facebook
X
WhatsApp
Telegram
Email
A Maldives search effort was called off after one rescue diver died- Photo: Maldives President's Media Division/dpa

LET’S READ SUARA SARAWAK/ NEW SARAWAK TRIBUNE E-PAPER FOR FREE AS ​​EARLY AS 2 AM EVERY DAY. CLICK LINK

MALE, Maldives: Maldivian authorities have recovered the last two bodies of the Italian divers who went missing during a cave-diving trip in Vaavu Atoll, ending multi-day recovery operations, according to Maldivian state media PSM News on Wednesday, reported Xinhua.

Chief government spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, told PSM News that the bodies were recovered on Wednesday with support from the Maldives National Defence Force Coast Guard, police and a team of Finnish technical divers sent by the Italian government.

The body of the group’s diving instructor was recovered on May 15, one day after the five Italian nationals failed to resurface during a dive on May 14, PSM News said.

Authorities later recovered two other bodies on Tuesday.

Shareef said officials were working to identify the remains and coordinating with the Italian government to repatriate the bodies.

The divers were found inside a cave system where they had been diving.

It was earlier reported that the group had attempted to explore caves at a depth of about 50 metres.

The victims included a marine biology professor from the University of Genoa in Italy, her daughter, and two young researchers, according to a statement from the university. – BERNAMA-XINHUA 

Related News

Most Viewed Last 2 Days