Sunday, 22 February 2026

Author: Natasha Jee

RM500 per Sarawakian for six months proposed

KUCHING: Sarawak People’s Aspiration Party (Aspirasi) has reiterated its call to the state government to give emergency basic income (EBI) of RM500 to every Sarawakian for six months after the end of the movement control order (MCO) period.  Its president, Lina Soo, said this aid for adult Sarawakians aged 18

Sharp rise in dengue cases

KUCHING: Sarawak recorded 637 dengue cases from Jan 1 to Feb 29 this year, a sharp increase from 314 cases for the same period last year.  Bandar Kuching MP Dr Kelvin Yii said 68 cases were recorded in Kuching within that period. “The national mortality or death rate from dengue

‘Two in a vehicle only for farmers’

KUCHING: For the general public, one person is allowed to travel in a vehicle during the movement control order. However, for farmers who have to work on their farms and harvest their crops, two of them are allowed to travel in a vehicle. Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Embas

Sarawakians coming home must undergo quarantine

KUCHING: All Sarawakians returning from Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah and Labuan have to undergo a 14-day quarantine at designated hotels. Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said these groups would be quarantined whenever they arrive at their last destination, either Kuching, Sibu, Bintulu or Miri. “On day seven of

No cases of Covid-19 patients being reinfected in state

KUCHING: There are no cases of Covid-19 patients being reinfected in Sarawak.  Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian said, however, there were reports that Brunei had 17 cases of reinfection. “We have gathered this information and passed it to medical specialists including Health director-general Dr

Sarawak MPs urged to fight hard for healthcare funding

KUCHING: Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) uses at least 1,000 personal protection equipment (PPE) per day during this Covid-19 pandemic, said Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian.  He said the state government earlier purchased 50,000 PPE worth RM6.5 million from China but they were enough for

No decision yet on grass-cutting service

KUCHING: The state government has been asked to consider whether grass-cutting services by local councils can be considered under essential services during the movement control order (MCO) period.  Kota Samarahan Municipal Council (KSMC) chairman Datuk Peter Minos said, personally he hopes the government will decide to allow grass-cutting service to

‘Let’s not create new cluster’

KUCHING: The government has every right to protect the life of parliamentarians, the Speaker and staff from the danger of Covid-19, thus the one-day Parliament sitting on May 18. Minister of Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said in deciding on a one-day sitting, it is

Improve internet access, MOE urged

KUCHING: The Ministry of Education (MOE) has been urged to pay greater attention to the need for internet access and speed, especially in rural areas. Minister of Welfare, Community Wellbeing, Women, Family and Childhood Development Datuk Seri Fatimah Abdullah said many rural students could not enjoy online learning during the

Rural parents urged to guide children in studies

KUCHING: Rural parents have been advised to guide their children in their daily school exercises during the movement control order (MCO). Engkilili assemblyman Johnical Rayong Ngipa noted that due to lack of internet facilities in rural areas, it is difficult to conduct online teaching and learning (PdP) in lieu of