
Never too late to kick smoking habit
Occasional or social smoking is not okay and it is never too late to stop smoking, said Dr Mohd Kamal Mohd Arshad, a cardiologist from

Occasional or social smoking is not okay and it is never too late to stop smoking, said Dr Mohd Kamal Mohd Arshad, a cardiologist from

KUCHING: Samling Group has clarified that the allegations contained in a post published on the Bruno Manser Fonds (BMF) on May 20 are false and lack any shred of credibility or truth. The post by BMF contained allegations made against Samling Group in relation to the Gerenai and Ravenscourt Forest Management Units (FMUs), calling into question the certification of the two FMUs by the Malaysian Timber Certification Council (MTCC) and alleging ‘many discrepancies between the certification requirements and its implementation’. “The allegations have not only tarnished unfairly Samling’s image but have also brought into serious question the good reputations of both MTCC and of the certifying body, SIRIM QAS International Sdn Bhd. “Additionally, the allegations belittle the value of forest management certification and the integrity of the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC),” said Samling in a statement today (June 2). It said the allegations made in the post by BMF and Borneo Project (BP) had been repeated despite due clarification published by MTCC itself on Aug 13 last year, whereby MTCC clarified that Samling had indeed satisfactorily fulfilled all the requisite certification requirements. The company also clarified that the certification process for the Gerenai and Ravenscourt FMUs was done in accordance with all requirements of the Malaysian Timber Certification Scheme’s Malaysian Criteria & Indicators, which have been endorsed by the PEFC, and are therefore compliant with international certification standards. “Part of this certification process involves the submission of third-party Economic Impact Assessment (EIA) and Social Impact Assessment (SIA) reports – both of which were duly complied with by Samling. “The scope the EIA report is under the purview of the Natural Resources and Environment Board (NREB) of Sarawak and not Samling. It is a requirement of NREB that part of the EIA report must be put up for public display in the FMUs’ offices,” said Samling. The findings of the SIA are communicated to the communities – usually by the consultant responsible for the assessment – either by a visit to an individual community or at a meeting held for a group of communities, it said. “Contrary to what was alleged in the BMF post, Samling has not received any formal request to share either the EIA report or the SIA report. Thus, to allege that Samling has refused to release these reports is totally untrue, and to say they were not made available to the communities is also incorrect. “This practice of lobbing baseless accusation after baseless accusation without any regard for truth or fact is a practice that is unfortunate,” the company said. It stressed that publishing groundless accusations based on false information does little good for the communities these non-governmental organisations (NGOs) purport to support, and can in fact cause damage to the processes that have been put in place by Samling for the upliftment of the communities involved. Samling said it valued constructive engagement with the communities and had carried out numerous community engagements on its own initiative, which have already been reported by the media. “Samling’s own internal standard operating procedures involve direct and comprehensive engagement between the Group’s liaison officers and the local communities to ensure there is full understanding and agreement of any proposed harvesting activity in areas that lie close to or overlap with community lands recognised under the law. “This is done before the start of any harvesting operations and holds true also for the Gerenai and Ravenscourt FMUs.” Samling said it understood and respected the community’s dependence on forest produce and had neither denied the importance of the forest to their livelihood nor wilfully caused damage to forests that are used by the communities as food sources. “At the same time, Samling also believes in the empowerment of local communities so that they can discern for themselves their rights and the responsibilities of the Samling Group, and engage directly with Group instead of through NGOs who claim to speak for the communities,” it said. To help achieve this, Samling has embarked on numerous community projects aimed not only at the economic uplifting of the communities but more importantly at the educational uplifting of their children and future generations. These projects include roads, bridges, schools, as well as medical assistance particularly Covid-19 related medical support, testing, and other equipment and facilities. The company has been present in rural Sarawak for many decades and has been a key partner of the state government in providing roads, education, and healthcare facilities to these areas. “Samling will always maintain its integrity as a responsible corporate citizen by adhering to all the relevant laws and regulations that have been imposed by the state and federal authorities. “Samling accepts fair criticism and scrutiny as part and parcel of the corporate world but it will not accept baseless and false accusations hurled against the Group and will continue to speak up to defend its reputation and name,” the company said.

KUCHING: Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri James Jemut Masing has called on the Education Ministry (MoE) to allow for the use of primary schools in Kapit as vaccination centres (PPVs). He said local residents in Kapit have requested permission to utilise schools in the division for vaccination purposes, but to no avail. “The way forward to fight Covid-19 is vaccination! The State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) is correct. There is no other way. “But MoE is blocking the way. They stop the PPV from using primary schools in Kapit division. Residents have been asking for permission to use the schools, but to this day, there is no reply!” he said today (June 2). The Baleh assemblyman said should the ministry become an obstacle to the state’s vaccination plan, the minister-in-charge must inform the schools in the state to cooperate. “If MoE becomes an obstacle, then the minister must tell the schools in Sarawak not to be obstinate. “We need the support of all agencies in fighting Covid-19,” he added.

UCHING: Sarawak recorded five new deaths today (June 2) involving Covid-19 infection, bringing the state’s death toll to 305. The Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) said the 301st death was Case 47,491ß, involving a local 83-year-old woman who was found unconscious at home by family members. “The medical team which arrived at the case’s house confirmed that the case no longer showed signs of life and was declared to have passed away on May 30,” the committee said in a statement. The case was brought to the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) for further investigation by a forensic team. A reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (rT-PCR) test was done and it returned positive on May 31. “The case did not have comorbidities. This death has been categorised as Brought-in Dead (BID),” said SDMC. They said the 302nd death was Case 37,238, a local man aged 69 years, who had received treatment at Kapit Hospital as he had symptoms of cough and breathing difficulties. “The results of rT-PCR testing were positive for Covid-19 on May 13. The case’s health condition deteriorated and he passed away on May 31. This case had comorbidities of high blood pressure and diabetes,” the committee said. SDMC said the 303rd death was Case 39,461, a local woman aged 66 years who was admitted to Miri Hospital as she was experiencing cough and difficulty breathing for a week. “An rT-PCR test was done and it was positive for Covid-19 on May 18. The case’s health condition declined and she passed away on May 31. The case had high blood pressure.” As for the 304th death reported, this was Case 46,918, involving a local 64-year-old man who was admitted to Miri Hospital after he experienced cough and breathing difficulties for two days. “An rT-PCR test was done and it returned positive on May 30. The case’s health condition deteriorated and he passed away on June 1,” SDMC said, adding that this case had comorbidities of high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, and end-stage kidney disease. With regard to the 305th death, the committee said this was Case 43,766, a local woman aged 75 years who was admitted to SGH as she was experiencing fever and breathing difficulties. An rT-PCR test was conducted and it was positive on May 25. The case’s health declined before she passed away on June 2. “The case had comorbidities of high blood pressure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and obesity,” said SDMC.

KUCHING: Sarawak recorded 588 new positive Covid-19 cases on Wednesday (June 2), bringing the state’s tally to 48,620. The Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) in a statement today (June 2) said 284 of these cases, or 48.3 percent, were detected in the districts of Kuching, Miri, Sarikei, and Sibu. A total of 106 cases were recorded in Kuching District, Miri (67), Sarikei (61), Sibu (50), Samarahan (41), Tatau (38), Bintulu (35), Selangau (24), Asajaya (23), Sri Aman (22), Kapit (21), Bau (18), Beluru (11), Simunjan (11), Kanowit (10), Betong (seven), Pakan and Marudi (six each), Pusa, Subis and Dalat (five each), Meradong and Mukah (four each), Serian and Lundu (three each), and Sebauh (two). “Of the 588 new cases reported, 70 people exhibited signs and symptoms of Covid-19 infection during screening,” SDMC said, adding 481 individuals were those who had been issued quarantine orders. On the overall breakdown of the new cases, 393 were persons who had contact with positive Covid-19 cases, 88 were linked to existing active clusters, 58 were from other screenings at health facilities, and 49 were from symptomatic individual screenings at health facilities. “Today (June 2), 427 new cases have recovered and been discharged,” SDMC added. The committee said 94 of these cases were discharged from Bintulu Hospital and Quarantine and Low-Risk Treatment Centre (PKRC), Sibu Hospital and PKRC (88), Sarawak General Hospital and PKRC (85), Miri Hospital and PKRC (79), Sarikei Hospital and PKRC (25), Kapit Hospital and PKRC (24), Betong PKRC (11), Mukah PKRC and Sri Aman Hospital and PKRC (nine each), Serian PKRC (two), and Lawas PKRC (one). “This brings the number of recovered and discharged cases thus far to 39,750 or 81.76 percent of the total number of Covid-19 cases in Sarawak,” SDMC said. There are still 8,456 active cases being isolated and treated at hospital wards and PKRCs throughout the state. “A total of 588 new persons-under-investigation (PUIs) have been reported and no PUIs are awaiting laboratory test results,” said SDMC.

KUCHING: The measures implemented under the recently announced Pemerkasa Plus stimulus package will help small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and businesses to weather the economic storm and provide short-term relief, said Fellow at Academy of Sciences Malaysia Datuk Dr Madeline Berma. The economic analyst said the measures, such as wage subsidies, loan moratoriums, cash handouts, and financial facilities, would help SMEs and businesses sustain themselves and stay afloat, as well as retain their workers. “The one-off financial support targeted at tour guides, taxi drivers, school bus drivers, and e-hailing drivers will help those who are affected heavily by the lockdown,” she said. Nevertheless, she pointed out that these financial supports would only provide temporary relief, not long-term solutions. At the same time, she said the government should adopt a targeted approach and provide support to those in the M40 category whose businesses had to close down during lockdown, including spa operators, clothing stores, and dine-in restaurants. “The Malaysian economy is on the road to recovery, but the pace is slow,” said Madeline. She said the numerous stimulus packages provided since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic had put a heavy strain on the government’s financial situation. “There is still a relatively high unemployment rate and the tourism sector is still experiencing an acute downturn,” she said.

KUCHING: Batu Kitang assemblyman Lo Khere Chiang welcomes the decision of telecommunication companies to provide free internet dongles and free internet access via SIM cards for disadvantaged students. “I would be happy to hear from the donors if they think they can be of help to the students in our community,” he said, noting that the Covid-19 pandemic had posed many challenges, not least the closure of schools causing students to adapt to online learning. He said based on feedback from people who had been in contact with them, he was fully aware that there were disadvantaged students who do not had access to computers or internet access at home. “We are exploring avenues of donations of computers or tablets for disadvantaged students in our community,” he said when contacted by New Sarawak Tribune. He also said he had designated a specific helpdesk in his constituency to deal with problems his constituents might have with regard to this matter. “The people have been going to them, via phone or in person. Most of the time, they are questions about internet access and some about technological devices,” he said. He said his staff members tried to help by providing links to online educational tools. “Fortunately, most of my staff are familiar with various videoconferencing and online collaboration tools and are able to point anyone who is a bit lost in the right direction. “We may not be able to help everyone, but we do what we can,” said Lo, who is also Padawan Municipal Council (MPP) chairman. He said it was a blessing that Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg had been advocating and pushing for Sarawak to go digital years prior to this pandemic. “That is why you have probably seen me praising the rapid rise of the use of broadband provided by Unifi around Padawan. I hope this positive attitude and push towards digitalisation will continue,” he said.

KUCHING: Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar has no qualms about forgoing his salary for three months if it means doing his part to

KUCHING: Sarawak recorded 703 Covid-19 positive cases on Gawai Day (June 1), bringing the total number of positive cases in the state to 48,032. Sarawak

KUCHING: Entrepreneur and Cooperative Development Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar has given the thumbs-up to the Pemerkasa Plus stimulus package incentives for