SIBU: The State Planning Authority (SPA) has approved all three key phases of the Bukit Assek Redevelopment Plan, which now awaits the Premier of Sarawak’s official announcement.
Bukit Assek state assemblyman, Joseph Chieng Jin Ek, said the approval paves the way for the high-impact project to be implemented in a comprehensive and well-planned manner.
He said that Phase One involves a Flood Risk Assessment covering approximately 39,000 acres, followed by Phase Two, which includes the Cloudburst Concept Master Plan and the Sibu City design covering 6,700 acres.
“Phase Three, which is the Integrated Infrastructure and Urban Development Concept Master Plan for Bukit Assek covering 815.45 acres, was also approved in October last year.

“With this approval, we are ready to move into the implementation phase,” he said during the 2026 Chinese New Year Celebration jointly organised by Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) Bukit Assek Branch and the Bukit Assek Service Centre yesterday (Sat, Feb 21).
Chieng added that the master plan was proposed by an international consulting firm and has undergone technical review as well as discussions with the Premier of Sarawak.
He also said that a public exhibition will be held after the official announcement to provide detailed explanations to residents about the project’s scope and implementation.





