Tuesday, 17 February 2026

UN chief urges dialogue amid worsening fuel shortage in Cuba

Facebook
X
WhatsApp
Telegram
Email
UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres. Photo: Anadolu Ajansi

LET’S READ SUARA SARAWAK/ NEW SARAWAK TRIBUNE E-PAPER FOR FREE AS ​​EARLY AS 2 AM EVERY DAY. CLICK LINK

HAMILTON, Canada: The United Nations (UN) chief, Antonio Guterres, continues to follow the situation in Cuba as the island nation grapples with a worsening fuel shortage, his spokesperson said on Monday, Anadolu Ajansi reported.

“The Secretary-General has been following the situation in Cuba extremely closely, and I can tell you that he’s very concerned about the situation in Cuba, which is worsening as oil needs continue to be unmet,” Stephane Dujarric said during a news conference.

Recalling the UN General Assembly’s repeated calls for an end “to the embargo imposed by the United States on Cuba”, Dujarric said that Guterres “would like to see all parties pursue dialogue and respect for international law yet again”.

“But our teams on the ground are working with the government to help support the humanitarian relief for the people of Cuba,” he added.

Cuba’s fuel crisis has worsened after the US cut off oil supplies from long-time ally, Venezuela, which had been shipping tens of thousands of barrels daily to the island.

The disruption followed US operations that captured former Venezuelan President, Nicolas Maduro, and the seizure of oil tankers, effectively halting key fuel deliveries. – BERNAMA-ANADOLU

Related News

Most Viewed Last 2 Days