Tuesday, 19 May, 2026

8:18 PM

, Kuching, Sarawak

22 sick housing projects successfully completed in Sarawak

Facebook
X
WhatsApp
Telegram
Email
Dr Sim speaks at the august House. Photo by Ramidi Subari

LET’S READ SUARA SARAWAK/ NEW SARAWAK TRIBUNE E-PAPER FOR FREE AS ​​EARLY AS 2 AM EVERY DAY. CLICK LINK

A TOTAL of 22 sick housing projects in Sarawak have been successfully completed through intervention measures undertaken by the Ministry of Public Health, Housing and Local Government.

According to the Deputy Premier and Minister for Public Health, Housing and Local Government, Datuk Amar Dr Sim Kui Hian, the ministry had identified 59 problematic housing projects out of 1,317 developer licences issued statewide from 2016 until May 16 this year.

“Of these, 22 sick housing projects have been successfully completed through my Ministry’s intervention, four projects are partially completed, and two projects have been resolved.

“The remaining 30 projects are currently under close monitoring and at various stages of intervention, while one project was declared abandoned last year,” he said during his ministerial winding-up speech at the Sarawak State Legislative Assembly (DUN) Sitting today (May 19).

Dr Sim said the figures showed that only about 4.5 per cent of all licensed housing developments in Sarawak had been identified as problematic projects.

“Furthermore, my ministry has achieved positive intervention outcomes in 28 projects, which means that the problematic project rate is further reduced to 2.35 per cent.

“This reflects the government’s continued commitment towards rehabilitating affected developments and protecting homebuyers’ interests,” he said.

He said the ministry would continue to monitor the projects closely and collaborate with all relevant stakeholders to ensure recovery measures were implemented responsibly and effectively.

Dr Sim said the development by Twin Revenue Sdn Bhd was targeted for completion in the third or fourth quarter of this year, following the resolution of infrastructure requirements related to a Sarawak Energy Bhd’s 33KV substation, affecting the Treetops Condominium project in Bintulu.

“Following a coordination meeting on 8 May 2026, the remaining works required for the issuance of Occupation Permit for Block A, Block B and subsequently Block C are targeted for completion by third or fourth quarter of 2026,” he said in his ministerial winding up speech in response to the issue raised by the Padungan and Tanjong Batu assemblymen during the State Legislative Assembly (DUN) sitting.

He added that three purchasers had filed claims with the Tribunal for Housing Purchaser Claims for Liquidated Ascertained Damages arising from delayed delivery, with awards already issued for two of the claims.

“In addition, my Ministry will suspend the developer’s licence and sales permit pending compliance, in order to safeguard the interests of the house purchasers,” he said.

Meanwhile, responding to another issue by Tamin assemblyman, on affordable housing development in Selangau, Dr Sim said the Housing Development Corporation (HDC) currently had no plans to build affordable housing there due to the absence of HDC-owned land.

“However, HDC will work with the Land and Survey Department to look for suitable land for future housing projects,” he said.

Meanwhile, the ministry is actively monitoring three housing projects undertaken by KS Tiong Sdn Bhd in Mukah, namely Taman Kingsum, Taman Indah and Taman Qinrara.

“For Taman Kingsum and Taman Indah, the construction of most housing units is nearing completion; only the infrastructure works remain outstanding,” he said.

Dr Sim added that the developer was restructuring the projects and sourcing additional financing to accelerate completion.

He also said Taman Qinrara had recorded only two unit sales due to weak market demand, and that the developer was exploring possible solutions, including joint-venture collaborations and refund arrangements for affected purchasers.

Regarding the Skim Pembesaran Kampung Tebakang Melayu project raised by the Bukit Semuja Assemblyman, Dr Sim said construction of 20 Rumah SPEKTRA Permata units had been fully completed, and the Occupation Permit was issued on Sept 3 last year.

“The handover of house keys to eligible applicants will be carried out once the electrical supply to the individual houses has been completed by Sarawak Energy Bhd,” he said.

Related News

Most Viewed Last 2 Days