Wednesday, 20 May 2026

Wednesday, 20 May, 2026

2:40 PM

, Kuching, Sarawak

Sarawak to provide 2,761 residential lots worth RM242.48 mln under SPS-SPK schemes

Facebook
X
WhatsApp
Telegram
Email
Datuk Amar Awang Tengah speaks at the Borneo Inspires Legacy Awards at BCCK Kuching. Photo: Ghazali Bujang

LET’S READ SUARA SARAWAK/ NEW SARAWAK TRIBUNE E-PAPER FOR FREE AS ​​EARLY AS 2 AM EVERY DAY. CLICK LINK

Twenty-eight Resettlement Scheme (SPS) and Village Expansion Scheme (SPK) projects worth RM242.48 million will provide 2,761 residential lots across Sarawak.

Second Minister for Natural Resources and Urban Development Datuk Amar Awang Tengah Ali Hasan said the projects had been approved under the 13th Malaysia Plan as of Apr 30, 2026.

“Of the 28 projects, three had been fully completed according to their development scope, seven were expected to be completed by the end of 2026, 11 by the end of 2027, while the remaining seven would continue until the end of the 13th Malaysia Plan,” he said in his ministerial winding-up speech today.

He said the implementation of the two schemes since the Fourth Malaysia Plan reflected the Sarawak government’s commitment to low-income people who needed land to build homes.

“Since 2018, the Premier has improved the policy by introducing new infrastructure specifications involving paved roads, concrete drains, walled lots, reticulated water supply and electricity supply in SPS and SPK areas.

“The average cost is not less than RM150,000 for each lot, while the land premium for each lot has been fixed at not more than RM2,500, with payment allowed through yearly instalments of up to 10 years.”

He said the Sarawak government, through the Land Custody and Development Authority (LCDA), continued to give priority to the development of new towns, service centres and affordable housing.

“Under the 12th Malaysia Plan, RM216 million was allocated for these projects, while another RM284 million had been approved under the 13th Malaysia Plan to continue implementation.”

Furthermore, he added, LCDA is also implementing affordable housing under the Village Expansion Scheme, Rural Growth Centres and Bandar Baharu Sebuyau.

“Under the 13th Malaysia Plan, 1,253 affordable housing units have been approved with an allocation of RM405 million.

“To support the government’s renewable energy initiative, 510 of these affordable homes would be equipped with solar energy systems at a cost of RM15 million.

“Construction of the affordable housing units was being carried out in various stages,” he said.

Awang Tengah said the Sarawak government, through LCDA and the Bintulu Development Authority, was also prioritising urban renewal projects.

He noted that the objective was to improve the welfare and socioeconomic wellbeing of the people through planned development involving housing, basic infrastructure, utilities, recreational facilities, places of worship and business premises.

“Six urban renewal projects are being implemented in phases, namely Darul Hana in Kuching, Sungai Bedaun resettlement in Kuching, Kampung Datu redevelopment in Sibu, Kemuyang development in Sibu, the Jelutong Village Expansion Scheme in Bintulu and Tatau Kampung Extension in Tatau.

“Several new projects had also been approved under the 13th Malaysia Plan, including the redevelopment of Semariang Pinggir in Kuching, Kampung Baru Kapit, Sungai Baji resettlement in Sarikei, Jepak Phase I redevelopment in Bintulu, Padang Kerbau development in Miri and the redevelopment of Trusan Bazaar in Lawas,” Awang Tengah said.

He pointed out that 564 houses under the Darul Hana project had been fully distributed to heads of households from Kampung Semarang, Panglima Seman Lama, Pulo Ulu and surrounding areas.

“In Sungai Bedaun, 209 houses had been provided for additional heads of families from the villages involved, with 183 already distributed.

“The remaining 26 houses would be distributed this year.”

He said 94 housing units under Darul Hana Phase III were under construction and expected to be completed by the end of next year.

“For the Kampung Datu redevelopment project in Sibu, 93 houses in Kampung Datu Baru had been distributed to heads of households, while the remaining 11 houses would be distributed this year. Site preparation works for Kampung Datu Lama Block A are also being carried out.

“For the Kemuyang project in Sibu, 137 of 150 houses had been distributed to additional heads of families from Kampung Datu, parts of Kampung Baharu and parts of Kampung Hilir. The remaining 13 houses would be distributed this year,” he said.

He further shared that in Bintulu, the Sarawak government, through the Bintulu Development Authority, had built 97 houses under the Jelutong Village Expansion Scheme in Jepak.

“Another 87 houses under the Tatau Extension Scheme had been fully completed and would be distributed this year.

“For Padang Kerbau in Lopeng, Miri, site preparation works to provide residential lots would begin soon.”

Related News

Most Viewed Last 2 Days