SARIKEI: A proposed 5.6-kilometre ‘missing link’ road linking Nanga Bangkit and Muara Lebaan to the Sibu-Tanjung Manis Road is set to improve connectivity and unlock development potential in the surrounding area.
Daro assemblyman, Safiee Ahmad, said the project would complete an important section of the existing road network, giving residents easier access to the coastal road and nearby main routes.
He said the new connection is also expected to open up more land for development, particularly privately-owned land that had previously faced access limitations.
“Even though the stretch is not long, its impact is significant because it completes the existing road network in the area,” he told reporters after attending the compensation cheque handover ceremony for the proposed project at the Integrated Administrative Centre (IAC) here today (May 22).
Safiee said the project is progressing smoothly and is expected to be completed in under 30 months.
He added that continuous monitoring by the Public Works Department (PWD) as the implementing agency has helped keep the project on track.
During the event, 18 compensation cheques amounting to RM146,986.56 were presented to 16 landowners affected by the acquisition process along the project alignment.
Safiee said the compensation exercise reflected the government’s commitment to ensuring affected landowners are fairly compensated while allowing development works to proceed without disruption.
“The good cooperation shown by local residents has also helped speed up the implementation process so the benefits of the project can be enjoyed by the community sooner,” he said.





