Tuesday, 18 August, 2026

11:00 AM

, Kuching, Sarawak

‘Safeguard remaining tourist attractions’

Facebook
X
WhatsApp
Telegram
Email
Kong

LET’S READ SUARA SARAWAK/ NEW SARAWAK TRIBUNE E-PAPER FOR FREE AS ​​EARLY AS 2 AM EVERY DAY. CLICK LINK

KUCHING: Democratic Action Party (DAP) member Michael Kong has called on both the federal and state government to safeguard Sarawak’s invaluable tourist attractions.

Referring to the recent collapse of the iconic ‘sea stack’ at Bako National Park, Kong, who is also a special assistant to Stampin MP Chong Chieng Jen said this was similar to the collapse of Tusan Beach’s renowned ‘horse drinking water’ rock formation in 2020.

“These natural wonders were integral to our tourism landscape, and the government ought to have taken decisive action to protect them,” he said in a statement today.

Kong said the government must follow steps that were taken to preserve the ’12 Apostles’ in Victoria, Australia by the Victorian and Australian authorities.

“We must adopt proactive measures to ensure the sustained preservation and development of our natural assets.

“While weather conditions may have contributed to the demise of these rock formations, preventative measures could have mitigated the impact”.

He suggested the government to implement the construction of breakwaters as protective barriers against waves, effectively safeguarding shorelines and preventing erosion.

“By investing in strategic infrastructure, we can mitigate the risk of irreversible damage to our coastal treasures.

“Moreover, it is imperative for the state government to formally recognise the intrinsic value of Sarawak’s natural beauty within policy making frameworks”.

In addition to proactive preservation efforts, he stressed that greater emphasis must be placed on environmental protection and addressing climate change.

Kong said the federal government must develop comprehensive strategies to anticipate and manage the impacts of climate change on coastal public lands and assets.

Previously, the Sarawak Forestry Corporation (SFC) had confirmed that sea stack had collapsed at about 4 pm on Tuesday (Feb 13).

Related News

Most Viewed Last 2 Days