Sunday, 23 August, 2026

11:15 AM

, Kuching, Sarawak

Bali getaway never takes off, housewife loses RM4,480

Facebook
X
WhatsApp
Telegram
Email
Photo for illustration purposes only.

LET’S READ SUARA SARAWAK/ NEW SARAWAK TRIBUNE E-PAPER FOR FREE AS ​​EARLY AS 2 AM EVERY DAY. CLICK LINK

BAU: A family holiday to Bali turned into a RM4,480 nightmare after a housewife allegedly fell for a travel scam promoted through WhatsApp.

The 52-year-old woman had signed up for a four-day, three-night Bali getaway with three family members after being offered the package by another woman in early August.

Bau police chief Supt Mohd Haide A. Rahman said the package, priced at RM1,600 per person, promised a trip from June 28 to July 2.

“Believing the offer to be genuine, the victim made nine online transfers totalling RM4,480 into a Maybank account registered under the suspect’s name between September last year and May this year.

“However, when the long-awaited trip drew closer, the promised flight tickets were nowhere to be found.

“The victim repeatedly contacted the suspect for the tickets but was allegedly met with a string of excuses,” he said.

She was eventually promised that her money would be returned in stages – only for her calls to allegedly be blocked.

With the holiday gone, the tickets missing and her money still not returned, the victim lodged a police report for further actions on Saturday (Aug 22).

Haide said police checks found no previous records linked to the bank account or telephone number used in the alleged scam.

The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating and dishonestly inducing the delivery of property.

Upon conviction, the offence carries a jail term of up to 10 years, whipping and a possible fine.

Related News

Most Viewed Last 2 Days